Tuesday, 4 May 2010

ahhhh. (that's a sigh of relief and vindication.)

The midwife came to the house today for my check-up, and she said a couple of things that made me very, very happy.  First of all, she agreed with me that this is an extremely active baby (it was moving and kicking the whole time that she was poking around and trying to listen to the heartbeat).  Yes, this is the little darling who kept me awake for a substantial portion of last night by his or her restless meanderings from one side of my ribcage to the other.

Secondly, re: my concern about the size of my small baby bump, which has been scornfully remarked upon by less-than-helpful observers. . . well, according to my midwife, I am "all baby" -- she told me that the baby is the perfect size for this stage in pregnancy, that my stomach muscles are strong and well-developed which is why I'm not sagging and "ballooning" more, and I am simply in good shape which is why I'm carrying the baby excellently.  Amazing how much better her comments have made me feel!  :)  Peer pressure - and the knowledge that I have the smallest baby bump out of all the women in my antenatal class - was making me wonder and question and doubt myself.  Funny how it's possible to vacillate between worrying that the baby's too small and then thinking that I don't look pregnant, I look fat.  Both have been disproved today.  Hurrah for wonderful midwives!

6 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you! Don't let others comments get to you. I have seen pictures, and you look great. As long as baby is healthy, who cares what size, right? :) The more in shape you are the easier it will be to recover. We'll keep praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to hear that things are progressing so well! Hmmmmm......I'm not surprised the baby is so active. I seem to remember the days your mom got tired of hearing people use the "e" word to describe her children (energetic). Must be in the genes. ;-) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Katie. I'd love to hear that again in five babies. Keep those muscles strong! And... even before (s)he's born, sleep when the baby sleeps! Carina slept a lot in the daytime when she was rocking as I moved, but she loved to be awake and dancing at night! Ah well - at least Brandon got to see her moving! He played "interactive baby" and poked my tummy, and she'd poke back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you -- and baby!

    I remember C kicking soccer goals into my rib cage at night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww lovely! I always remember seeing them after they were born kicking and thinking ouch no wonder I felt it so much!!
    Do you exercise a lot? I really need to strengthen my stomach muscles 2 years on, but haven't achieved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats awesome! I hope its not dangerous being an uncle to a Lachmanness monster!!!
    Aunt Cindy, was I one of those "energetic" babies? hahaha

    -John

    ReplyDelete