Saturday, 20 February 2010

Since I last posted, we enjoyed a great weekend of fellowship in Ayr (about an hour south of Glasgow) with our dear friends the Beers and the Mackays.  David had the opportunity to spend the day in Northern Ireland attending a minister's conference, which was a very uplifting experience.  Meanwhile, I visited with Allison and Liz and we talked homeschooling and pregnancy for a couple of hours.  :-) 

This week has been quiet but busy (it's always busy).  David had a presbytery exam on Tuesday (an exam on half of the Westminster Confession of Faith).  I have had an unexpected employment opportunity come my way. My friend Mirjam, who has three small children and is homeschooling, had been cleaning once a week for friends of hers, an elderly Baptist couple who live on my street.  The wife died of cancer last year so now the 83-yr-old man, Arthur, lives all alone and Mirjam has been continuing to clean for him.  However, Mirjam now lives on the south side of Glasgow and it takes her an hour to commute by train (bringing her nursing baby with her) to do this two hour cleaning job.  So she asked me if I'd be willing to take over the job since I only live 6 doors down from Arthur!  This will be a low-key, flexible job (only two hours a week) which will pay a welcome few pounds every week (every little bit counts!).  And it's basic housecleaning, which I'm rather experienced in if I do say so myself.  :-p  Amazing how the Lord provides!  I wasn't looking for work, but I don't mind serving in this way and earning a little bit on the side!

I've watched snippets of the Olympics this week.  The first time in my life that I've lived somewhere that had access to watching it!  We can watch it (recorded) on the BBC iplayer or live on the BBC website.  I'm not much interested in anything besides the figure skating, which is amazing!

David is busy working on his three dissertations which are required for final-year students in the seminary.

I need to finish preparing for the Lord's Day tomorrow. . . and we are having two couples from church over for dinner, so I need to get that ready to go into the slow-cooker.  :-)  Plus the usual preparations for teaching Sunday school in the morning, and teaching the lesson at the children's Bible club on Monday. . .

2 comments:

  1. It's so encouraging to hear how God is meeting all your needs. Thanks for keeping us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. crazy, fun, Scottish life. I like the sound of it. :D

    ReplyDelete