Saturday, 23 January 2010

life

Blueberries were on sale at Aldi the other day, so I very happily picked up some and planned to make blueberry muffins - yum.  I found a great recipe online which turned out great - except that I burned them a bit!  :-(  The muffins turned out so big and puffy that I had to bake them a few minutes longer to get the centers fully cooked, but in the meantime I didn't realize that the bottoms and the edges were browning.  So, next time I will need to modify a couple of things.  I'm still not used to using this gas oven!

Last night I went to the birthday party of a friend from church, Martin, our minister's youngest son.  It was a special gathering for Martin's 21st at an Italian restaurant in the city centre.  There were slightly more than 25 people there, friends from our congregation and sister congregations in the area.  I had a great time hanging out and chatting with folks over a lovely meal.  Sadly, David wasn't able to make it because he is studying, studying, STUDYING for two big exams and a major paper next week.  After the meal, we went over to the manse for birthday cake and more visiting until the late hours of the night.  The fellowship and fun made for a great night out!

We were blessed with the gift of a large chest freezer this week!  Our friends the Harams have friends who had a chest freezer that they were wanting to give away, so they phoned us and asked if we could use it (knowing that we've been making do with a tiny little icebox in the top corner of our tiny fridge).  Of course we said YES!  So now we have a new freezer. . . twice as big as our refrigerator!. . . which allows us to buy meats and other foods on sale - in bulk - and save money!  Since we have the room to store the food, I am now looking into getting deliveries from Asda or another local supermarket which will allow me to buy more at once AND not have to haul it home in a backpack!  (yay!!)

Speaking of which, I'm having to be careful how much I try to carry home when I go shopping.   The other day I stopped by the supermarket to pick up a prescription and decided to do a little bit of shopping while I was there even though I knew I would need to carry home whatever I bought.  I didn't get very much, but I did buy some meat and juice which was heavy, and ended up having to phone David (who was home studying) when I was halfway home and ask him to meet me and carry the groceries home!  Thankfully my knight in shining armour was happy to have a brief walk in the fresh air before he went back to his studies, and was willing to rescue his stranded wife who didn't have the strength to carry the food any further.  *sigh*  Pregnancy sure does change things. . .

2 comments:

  1. tell David for me that I'm glad he was willing to help his wife AND burn off all that wasted fat at the same time... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought some fresh blueberries (from Chile!) at the commissary the other day. How nice to have a summer treat on a winter day.

    ReplyDelete