Sunday, 6 December 2009

in sickness and in health. . .

Well, David and I have experienced quite a bit of the "in sickness" part of our marriage vows recently.  David has now been sick for a full 4 weeks and his chest cough is still lingering on.  He went to the dr. this week and was told that he most likely has been fighting either a nasty cold or the flu.  Thankfully the dr. found nothing alarming (no pneumonia, chest infection, bronchitis, or anything like that).  He has been a bit improved in the last couple of days, with the exception of not sleeping well at at all because of lingering coughing, but we will be very happy to see him kick this thing for GOOD!

In the midst of this drama, I have been struggling with my own health.  On Monday I helped out at the weekly Shettleston children's Bible club, where I taught the lesson and was heavily involved in the games and other "wild" activities. . . . and completely overdid it (need to really be more careful now that I'm pregnant!).  I could hardly crawl out of bed on Tuesday as a result, so David put me on bed rest for the day.  Then around 2am on Thursday morning I woke up in a lot of pain and shaking uncontrollably (though I didn't have a fever).  This continued for the rest of the night and then around 8am I felt faint and nauseous and called David (who was in the other room) and by the time he came in I was passed out face-first on the bedroom floor.  The next couple of hours I spent vomiting repeatedly and passing out repeatedly.  This was poor David's initiation into "having Katie as a sick wife" (I faint whenever I vomit).  He was so good, and it was reassuring to have him there holding me (I have hit my head more times than I can count fainting - this time I always had David there to make sure I didn't!).  My mom's reaction was, "Katie, did you scare David out of his wits?"  I said, "No, Mom, he did a great job handling it - he only asked me twice if I was still breathing!"  We called the dr. because I was terribly ill and we were not sure what to do.  I got an emergency appointment and the dr. told me that I had picked up a virus that was going around.  She gave me an injection to stop the vomiting, which then stopped the rest of the "vicious cycle" that I was experiencing and enabled me to get some good rest during the remainder of the afternoon.  Thankfully there is nothing wrong with the pregnancy, this was just an unrelated virus that I caught!  But I am still recovering from it after three days of almost total bed rest.  Definitely not back to 100% yet, but we are praying for renewed strength and a full recovery.

I am so grateful to our friends the Harams who were kind enough to pick us up and take us to the dr. for my emergency appointment, and to our friend Parthee who came over yesterday and cleaned my whole kitchen and cooked dinner for us!

We are ready for the drama to be over now and to be healthy again!

2 comments:

  1. Man you must've scared the heck out of poor David. :P Hope you don't get overwhelmed with all the literature assignments I submitted to you. Heheheh :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling much better now!!!-LR

    ReplyDelete