Saturday, 14 November 2009

chicken noodle soup and feasts

David was away from Monday until this afternoon at the Evangelism Module in the Inverness area for the seminary students.  While he was gone, I stayed in Glasgow but I was able to spend the week with my friend Marjory Jean so that I wouldn't be alone in the house.  MJ lives just over two miles from my house - it takes a little more than 30 minutes to walk.  I did a LOT of walking this week!  There wasn't a day that I walked less than 2.5 miles, and there were a couple of days where I walked more than 5 miles total!  That coupled with late nights visiting with friends has left me rather exhausted by week's end, but I am sooooo thankful to have David back!  I did all the shopping and housecleaning yesterday so that everything would be in order when he got home.

David's been struggling with a nasty cold all week, and he is still growling like a lion because of all of the congestion in his throat, and today was really rainy when he was coming home. . . so I decided to make chicken noodle soup, his favorite.  It turned out really well and David was so happy - he immediately proclaimed that I was his "favoritest" wife.  That's reassuring. . .  ;-)  I made a huge pot of chicken noodle soup so that David can keep enjoying it for the next couple of days.  It's so warm and filling!

This weekend is the communion season for our congregation here in Shettleston, which meant that they have extra services last night and tonight as well as the usual services on the Lord's Day with the additional celebration of the Lord's Supper.  For those of you who aren't familiar with the idea of communion seasons, it's still the way things are done over here in the Free Church, harking back to the days when ministers rode circuits and so the Lord's Supper was celebrated about twice a year in each congregation - to give time for the ministers to travel to all the different congregations.  Nowadays communion seasons may occur anywhere from two to four times a year in each congregation.  A communion season will often involve extra services on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday nights - and a lot of visitors from sister congregations will travel from all across Scotland to fellowship.  There is true spiritual and physical feasting during these special times.

1 comment:

  1. So David is disappointed with all of his other wives, eh? I feel sorry for them.

    ReplyDelete